Project 22 – 1 – 16 January 2008

Now that quals are over and done with–yay, again!–it’s time to catch up on some of those things I’ve been putting off in the meantime. Which means that it’s time for a ridiculous gigantic Project 22 update. Definitely not recommended for dial-up viewers.

Six Hundred

Way back on New Year’s Day, I was still in NC with my family. We spent the day relaxing as far as I remember, including a few games of Ten Thousand with the family.

Barbados Collage

Perhaps my most significant achievement of the 2nd was getting the film from the underwater cameras we had with us in Barbados developed. Most of the shots were rather blurry–though whether that’s an effect of the camera case or the year-and-a-half’s aging on the film, I don’t know. In any case, these were some of my favorite pictures, including a couple of nice ones I caught of sea turtles while snorkeling.

Puzzle Time

The 3rd was my last day at home. Everyone else went to work and I ran around doing errands like getting my car’s emissions checked. That evening we relaxed–it was a theme for the holiday break–with the beginnings of a puzzle while watching Cinderella Man. Mom and I ended up giving up on the puzzle and moving to the theater with the DVD because the other DVD player was having issues. But there was some puzzling.

Drive Time

On the 4th, I tackled the long drive home. The 10.5 hours of driving went by without any significant issues, though I did have to stop for ice cream in Pennsylvania to give my legs a break. Shooting pains are not so much fun. Sadly, I arrived at my apartment to discover that my roommate’s cat had gone crazy and turned the whole place into a giant litter box.

Stinky Monster Milo

The state of the house, given the cat mess, was such that I couldn’t stand to stay there, so I spent almost all of the 5th at Joe’s place.

Cleaning Time

By the 6th, I was so annoyed with the situation that I came home and started cleaning like mad. I didn’t take care of all of the cat’s mess–in large part because it should not be my responsibility to look after someone else’s animal–but I did enough cleaning that I felt capable of living in my own house again.

Back Up

It was time to go back to work on the 7th, but I eased myself into things–or so I thought–by making some much needed back-ups of my year’s worth of data and research. Actually getting things to the point where I could successfully burn DVDs was far more of an ordeal than it should have been, but two days of work and seven or eight DVDs later, my data’s been backed up.

In The Lab

I was back to experimenting on the 8th, this time in the vertical wind tunnel, shown here. One side of the tunnel is plastic, which is rather reflective, so it’s possible to see portions of the rest of the lab, including the Christmas lights the post-doc put up.


On the 9th, I busted out my new grill and made the aforementioned panini, which was a big winner.

Through The Tunnel

The 10th was another day of experimentation in the tunnel. I’m a little unsatisfied with the results from this day because they, to an extent, contradict data from previous runs, and this is never a good sign. This shot, in case you are wondering, was taken by holding the camera up to one of the ports that we use to center the probe.

My Sister's Pants

The 11th brought me a package with fun new clothes, including a pair of pants like the ones my sister has that I can wear. Hers are blue and mine are gray because they were sadly out of blue. Yes, I’m still excited that I can wear my sister’s clothes.

Is This For Real?

While I was at the library on the 12th, I noticed several books in the new book section that were displayed in sealed envelopes with this Homeland Security seal on them. I’m very confused by this: I don’t know if the government is now able to require that books not be sold/checked out until they approve them or whether this is some kind of publicity stunt on the part of the library staff. The Internet could not help me.

Wii Bowling

We were social on both the 12th and the 13th. On the 13th, Joe and I went over to Mike’s place for a few games of dominoes, ten thousand, and some bowling on his Wii. I should be social more often! (On that note, I have a movie night tomorrow that I need to bake cookies for.)

Stack O' Study Materials

Monday was about the only day this week that I got any research done, though I spent a fair amount of that time writing Matlab scripts to make data analysis easier for me in the future. I just got too sick of doing the same thing all the time in Kaleidagraph. At the same time, though, my quals were fast approaching, and I had this stack of material staring at me, saying, “You need to study me. You need to know me.”


Tuesday morning I learned the beginnings of my T.A. requirements. At some point, I will probably take some pictures of the lab I’ll be working in–then again, there will be plenty of time for photos of that over the semester, as I’ll be spending quite a lot of time working for this course. That afternoon I tried to study further for the Q-exam. When reading things stopped working, I started making lists of important concepts, like those shown here.

Q Preparations

On Wednesday, I received the problem I would present to the committee, and I spent pretty much all day preparing my answer and accompanying presentation. This is a picture of my desk near the end of the workday. Notice the massive number of textbooks, notes, and binders. Now if only my presentation hadn’t included some equation typos on the way to the right answer…

1 Responses to “Project 22 – 1 – 16 January 2008”

  • Love the photos, as usual. The sandwich looks delicious. And congrats on passing your qualifying exmas!!! :D!!!

    I have to laugh about the whole fitting-into-your-sisters-trousers thing, though. My sister is horribly skinny and I can’t wear many of her clothes… but sisters are *supposed* to share clothes, aren’t they? 🙂

Leave a Reply